Healing with Whole Foods
Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition
by Pail Pitchford
Recommended by Tamarack Song
This book brings together authentic traditions of Asian medicine with current western reserach on health and nutrition to create the most detailed sourcebook available on planning and preparing an optimal diet. This comprehensive reference work features:
- Current guidelines on nutrition basics such as the protein/vitamin B12 group, fats and oils, sugars and sweeteners, water, salt, seaweeds, "green food" (micro-algae and cereal grasses), calcium, oxygen, and other nutrition concerns.
- Clear discussions of the Chinese healing arts applied to physical and emotional conditions, including the Eight Principles (Six Divisions of Yin and Yang), Five Elements, and syndromes of the internal organs.
- Information on making a gentle transition from a diet based on animal products to one centered on whole grains and fresh vegetables. Over 300 hearty, purely vegetarian (vegan) recipes, as well as the healing properties of plant and animal foods.
- Sections on weight loss, heart and vascular renewal, female health, digestive problems, candida yeast infections, root canals, food combining, fasting, children, pregnancy, and aging. Includes insights from Ayurvedic medicine of India.
- Detailed "Regeneration Diet" and herbal treatments for cancer, arthritis, mental illness, drug and alchol abuse, AIDS, and other degenerative conditions. Also features a "Parasite Purge Program" tailored to specific body types.
Paperback. 784 pages. North Atlantic Books. Third Revised and Expanded Edition. 2002. ISBN: 1556434308.
"I am grateful for Paul Pitchford for updating the classic Healing with Whole Foods. If I could choose one book to recommend to students of the healing arts, this would be the one. Even more important than the wealth of botanical information is Pitchford's alignment with spiritual purpose - to inspire peaceful, balanced diet and life patterns as a viable antidote to stress and dissipation." - Edward Bauuman, Ph.D., Direction, Partners in Health, Cotati, California
"Paul Pitchford reminds us that all nutrients are available in unadulterated whole foods. It couldn't be any simpler; the basis of life is a whole foods diet." Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D., author of Natural Perscriptions for Common Ailments
-Please scroll down the page for the "Add to Order" button.-